The Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE) invites incoming first-year students who are first-generation, students of color, and Native and Indigenous students to live in a close knit dynamic community with peers committed to academic success at the University of Minnesota.
The MCAE Living Learning Community encompasses 6 identity-based communities (below).
These communities come together to form the MCAE Living Learning Community. This experience provides an opportunity for students to engage within their respective identity-based communities, while also coming together as a collective to engage in cross-cultural leadership development opportunities, critical conversation, and intentional academic support coming directly from MCAE’s services.All MCAE LLC's are unique in their focus.
Below are some of the common experiences that bring the communities together:
- All MCAE LLC residents participate in regularly scheduled academic checkpoints
- All MCAE LLC residents have access to individualized academic holistic support
- All MCAE LLC residents live together in a vibrant residential community
- All MCAE LLC residents have access to wellbeing programming MCAE fitness classes and stress management workshops
- All MCAE LLC residents are invited to participate in on-going social and community-based events
Students interested in participating in the MCAE Living Learning Community must meet the following requirements:
- Students must be a first year student officially accepted ,and have confirmed admission, to the University of Minnesota and identify as a first-generation student and/or a student of color
- Students must have an active housing application on file
- Students must have paid the non-refundable housing fee.
- Complete a House & Residential Life application and select the MCAE LLC(s) you are interested in joining
- Early Summer: Housing & Residential Life will send all names and contact information of students interested in joining MCAE's Living Learning Communities
- Check your email: If you expressed interest in one of MCAE's LLCs you will recieve an email communication from MCAE with complete application information in mid-summer
- Submit your MCAE LLC application! Only students who submit a completed MCAE LLC application will be considered