The Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence and Circle of Indigenous Nations can provide funding for student groups.
Procedures for Obtaining Sponsorship
- Read this webpage completely.
- Review the Evaluation Rubric & Dealbreaker Guide.
- Submit a Sponsorship Request Form (It is recommended that this form is submitted 60 days prior to event/activity; see Timeline details below).
Sponsorship requests must come from the leadership of a University of Minnesota student group (RSO or CLP). Information about student group registration is available from the Student Union & Activities Office.
Limits on sponsorship requests
- $500 is the maximum dollar amount per request.
- Requests must not violate the Student Code of Conduct.
- Requests must not involve travel costs.
- Requests must not be reimbursements for past activities or events.
Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence and Circle of Indigenous Nations reserve the right to offer funds less than the amount requested and to deny requests for funding.
What happens after submitting a Sponsorship Request Form?
- Your request will be reviewed by a committee of students and staff from the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence and Circle of Indigenous Nations.
- The review committee will make a determination on your request.
- You will be notified of the determination and provided with the review committee's evaluation results within 1 business week of review.
- If your funding request is approved, you will agree to submit a Follow-Up Form within two business weeks of the event/activity.
- If your funding request is denied, you will be provided with feedback from the review committee on how to modify your request and increase your chances of future approval.
Timeline for review of your request
- The Sponsorship Review Committee meets to review requests on the second Friday of each month, year-round. If a University holiday falls on that day, the review meeting will be moved to a close business day that suits the committee members' schedules.
- It may take up to 10 business days for funds to be transferred or for purchases to be made on behalf of a sponsored student group. Requesters are advised to back-calculate the days required to submit a sponsorship request in time for the funds to be used:
- (1) Determine the date of event/activity; (2) 10 business days before that is when funding transfer or purchase activity should begin; (3) 1 business week before that is the closest that the student group should receive confirmation of sponsorship; (4) the second Friday of the month before that is when the review committee will make a determination; (5) the sponsorship request should be submitted before that second Friday.
- Example: (1) Event is planned for March 20, 2020; (2) funding transfer or purchase activity should begin March 6, 2020; (3) notification of sponsorship must occur on or before February 28, 2020; (4) the second Friday of the month prior to that is February 14, 2020; (5) sponsorship requests should be submitted no later than February 13, 2020.
- To be on the safe side, requesters are strongly encouraged to submit a sponsorship request two full months before the funding is needed.
Questions about sponsorship should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.