Fall Semester Calendar: Plan Ahead!
Use this fall semester calendar to plan ahead! List your homework assignments, mid-term exams, finals, and all important due dates. You got this!
MCAE Living Learning Communities
The Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE) invites incoming first-year students who are first-generation and/or students of color to live in a close-knit and dynamic community with peers committed to academic success at the University of Minnesota. In alignment with MCAE Holistic Support Model, we have four educational support priorities for the MCAE LLC residents: a sense of belonging, self-efficacy, academic support, and navigating a predominantly white institution (PWI).
The MCAE Living Learning Community encompasses five identity-based communities and one LLC dedicated to serving first-generation college students. The MCAE LLCs include:
- American Indian Cultural House for American Indian and Indigenous students
- CASA SOL for Latinx students
- Charlotte’s Home for Black Women
- Huntley House for Black and African American Men
- Tsev Hmoob for Hmong Students
- The Firsts for First-Generation Students
These communities come together to form the MCAE Living Learning Community. This experience provides an opportunity for students to engage within their respective identity-based communities, while also coming together as a collective to engage in cross-cultural leadership development opportunities, critical conversation, and intentional academic support coming directly from MCAE’s services. We acknowledge that MCAE LLC residents hold diverse identities and their lived experiences exist beyond the walls of the university, we support students as a whole as they navigate their academic lives at the University of Minnesota.
Students interested in this community should expect the following:
- Individualized holistic academic support from MCAE Staff
- Academic grade checks at semester midpoint and end of the semester (Fall & Spring)
- Wellbeing programming including MCAE group fitness classes and stress management
- On-going social and community-based events
- Regular study nights with peer tutors on-hand to provide support
- MCAE LLC Alumni Engagement
- Intentional connections with various on-campus resources
Students interested in participating in the MCAE Living Learning Community must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a first-year student.
- Must identify as a first-generation student and/or a student of color.
- Must submit a completed application due May 2021.
- Must attend MCAE Kick Off prior to the start of the academic year (August 29th thru September 3rd)
- Must commit to participate in academic coaching and holistic support from MCAE Staff.
- Must commit to attending regular community meetings and events.
- Must live on campus for the entire duration of the academic year (Fall & Spring).
- Must follow Housing & Residential Life community/conduct expectations as well as University’s Student Code of Conduct.
- Must be fully present at MCAE LLC events, remain open to new ideas and experiences, and make an effort to get to know other members of the MCAE LLC community.
- Complete a House & Residential Life application and select the MCAE LLC(s) you are interested in joining
- Early Summer: Housing & Residential Life will send all names and contact information of students interested in joining MCAE's Living Learning Communities
- Check your email: If you expressed interest in one of MCAE's LLCs you will receive an email communication from MCAE with complete application information in mid-summer
- Submit your MCAE LLC application! Only students who submit a completed MCAE LLC application will be considered.
- Check your email! The first round of LLC application reviews begins in early summer.
MCAE LLC placement has concluded for the 21-22 academic year.